well here it is... my first journal entry...and ive got to tell you..its harder than it looks...

no censoring, no changing pages when it doesnt look 'pretty'...just going with the flow...im sure it will take me a good few days to get into a comfortable mode with this..but thats ok..


i think i should have started this a long time ago...the reason im doing it is is to loosen up..i really need to feel more free ...i like the idea of writing down words, ideas, thoughts and by writing them down it helps to progress to the next level...


today, i started off with a list of words..synonyms for the word secrets...possibility for a set of paintings...then i saw lisas wonderful find..this fantastic chair..i had the urge to draw it so i did...the drawing is crappy but it doesnt matter...when i draw from life, i always looks at points in relation to other points to get an accurate picture...i found myself moving between the buttons like points on a map...the lines in the worn fabric became the contours of the drawing and i started thinking about the chairs history, the lines of the thread...how stories of past are ingrained in these lines...i enjoyed these thoughts which connected to my rug...my lovely rug..with its years of history and callys thoughts on the old rather than the new..i so agree with cally!

so although my first journal page is not so pretty...it did bring about a lot of interesting thoughts..a good start!

15 Comments:

  1. Cheesehead With Sticks said...
    Oh, I disagree. I think it is beautiful! You probably see just a chair you didn't get exactly as you wanted and your every day handwriting. To outsiders, it's a completely different viewpoint.

    I like your chair better even, haha!
    Anonymous said...
    It is pretty. It is wonderful in fact! The chair is amazing.. and getting the writing and thoughts... Just doing it is a feat in itself for me!!! Fabulous
    lisa solomon said...
    i feel i must also point out that the drawing is really rather wonderful!

    it's better than mine [which i won't ever show!!]

    this is a great project julie... loooking forward to more!!!
    xo
    Janet said...
    me too, looking forward to seeing this project develop. x
    Anonymous said...
    Love your drawing, inspirations coming from many sources including blog friends make this so special. I like the thought process that links from point a to b, much like your map going from button to button, wonderful! Looking forward to more.
    Anonymous said...
    oh! i really like lisa's photos of that chair too. and i love your drawing of it. jordan wants started to draw one little picture each day in a day planner...on that day he would draw something in the corresponding box and it was very hard! some days you don't really feel like drawing. other days you feel your drawing are awful. but it is soooooo fun to look back on. i bet you will learn a lot and will be really happy at the end of the year. and feel free to moan on those tought days! :)
    KELLY said...
    a fantastic start julie! this is the beginning of a great journey...i love the drawing. it's going to lead you into all sorts of creative corridors! x
    jen said...
    i agree that the drawing is wonderful! i love your idea of uncensoring yourself...very freeing!
    Anonymous said...
    A great first page. I must confess, I am afraid I'd be too chicken to show mine.
    take care, g xo
    shari said...
    this first page is delightful. i think the chair drawing is magnificent. xoxo
    Anonymous said...
    I think your chair is a perfect starting image - a kind of welcome in,sit down and have a look around kind of feel.I do so wish I was a journal person but after all of those years at uni I have to face the fact that I'm not. I remember doing most of my journal entries that were supposed to document your journey through the creative process, the night before the project was handed in....none of the lecturers ever seemed to noticed though...must have been the fact that I used different pens and made sure to make the pages look a bit worn in (coffee drips and phone numbers scribble in corners are perfect for that!)
    amisha said...
    hi julie! this is such an exciting project. i agree with the other comments... though it doesn't look quite right to you, from here it is lovely! i love the connections you are making between the images + ideas + words... looking forward to seeing more!
    Marieke said...
    It's very liberating too, don't you think? To put in everything without minding good/bad/beautiful/ugly.
    paula said...
    Great project Julie!
    How funny you mention that it's harder than it looks...I always find the same...but then all comes down to practice. ;)
    Anonymous said...
    I'm sure this will be the start of so many more beautiful creations ... and I am very much looking forward to it!

Post a Comment