Remember i talked about the art lesson for 4/5 year olds i was going to teach...well, it turned out to be a very little group - two in fact, and one of them is Shelly!!! But its ok, i didnt advertise and im going to use this year to build ideas and look at it as a learning process. I am going to document it here on my blog every week - not only as reference for myself but i would also love any feedback or/and comments. And it may be seen as a big Work In Progress!

So, the first lesson was about the element 'line' and we started out by discussing two artists work..Franz Kline and Picasso..i showed them some pictures and asked what they saw...i had to nudge them into focus and then they started coming up with examples of different lines..straws, snakes...
On a blackboard, i drew different types of lines and asked the girls to help me - they were both eager to draw on the blackboard!
They were both given a piece of A3 paper and asked to draw a squiggle and then make that squiggle into something. I wanted them to loosen up and enjoy - and they did.
I then asked them to cover a piece of A4 paper in pastels...all different colours - it was interesting to see how both the girls went about this in a different way.
They then covered the coloured page in black pastel. I gave them both a small wooden stick and told them to draw over the black- again, the level of enthusiam was very different in both the girls.
Finally, i gave them both a piece of black paper and asked them to cut strips out. They enjoyed using scissors and Liron cut mainly very wide strips and Shelly varied sizes..

I asked them to drop their strips from up high and wherever they fell we stuck them down.


I enjoyed the first class and so did the girls. Im planning to continue with the element of line.


Have a wonderful weekend everyone :)

16 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Looks like a great lesson! Wish I could come to your class :)

    I really like your blog, and thanks for visiting mine. In the immortal words of Arnie, "I'll be back"

    Cheers
    S
    Anonymous said...
    I wish I could send Rose along to you to join in...she would love this! I am looking forward to watching your classes develop. What a wonderful work in progress!
    shari said...
    how fun julie!
    i'm sending you an email today about reggio. have a great weekend. xo shari
    Anonymous said...
    i love the idea of incorporating the art of famous artists into your lessons. fun! and i really do think it is a blessing that you now have a less stressful platform to practice all your lessons before having more students.
    Anonymous said...
    Wow, it's great that the children enjoyed their art lesson. Only 4/5 and you are teaching them about Picasso already! I hope you get many more ideas and inspiration, can't wait to see more classes.
    Anonymous said...
    I bet you are a wonderful tutuor. I am inspired and didn't even come to the class. Word of mouth will spread and your class will grow.
    lisa solomon said...
    fantastic julie!!

    i love the black construction paper kleins ! :D so cute!!!
    paula said...
    Wow! I think I will have lots to learn from these lessons as well.
    I like the way you went about the whole lesson and the kind of notice you took from each girls' way of dealing with the subject.
    Looking forward to see more.
    Have a great weekend.
    Veronica TM said...
    What a wonderful lesson! It sounds interesting and so much fun. And I am sure you are learning from your little students too.
    Anonymous said...
    Ooh! I want to play too... cutting paper strips and taking my line for a walk.
    take care, grache
    Anonymous said...
    Hi Julie,
    This brings back such happy memories of art classes when I was little. Keep having fun!
    Cheers, LJ
    Anonymous said...
    oh blush, I was going to say I want to join, but then I noticed the 4/5 part :)
    Hi, I came from Flickr...
    Anonymous said...
    I would have enjoyed it too :)
    love your concept!!
    Marieke said...
    Wish I could have joined you! Shelley might grow up as a real conaisseur - discussing Picasso at 4! :-) Wonderful!
    KELLY said...
    wow...lucky girls! your lesson looked really great it brought back memories with the colour/black/scrape in particular! i love the central theme to the lesson & am really looking forward to #2! well done julie! x
    thebutterflycollector said...
    how fabulous! Lucky girls they have a great teacher!

Post a Comment