Today the session began with a drawing of this...

and i so love the outcome. What was really interesting was to watch Yuval copy the writing - its the first time shes written in English as she has not yet begun learning english letters so she was copying them like any other detail...i think she did a great job!!!!
I then showed Yuval this sculptures by Louise Nevelson and told her they were made form everyday things...all sorts of shapes...


I gave her a shoe box and several bits and pieces including toilet rolls, cardboard, corks, sticks. egg boxes...and encouraged her to create a 3-d sculpture within the box.

I thought Yuval would feel comfortable using the box as a 'frame' but i think she found the idea of 3-d difficult to understand...and wanted to just stck on the background...

I wonder if i told her to create a freestanding sculpture without a box how she would respond...i would still like to finish this project so we'll see next week.

8 Comments:

  1. mormar said...
    I think she did an excellent job, both in the handwriting and the sculpture.
    Anonymous said...
    love the sailing owl and pussycat :)
    shari said...
    your work is always so interesting..so cool to see how she copied the english letters. love the sculpture you used for inspiration and your idea to use a shoebox as scaffolding. it will be interesting to compare if you ask her differently next week.
    Chara Michele said...
    Your art lessons always sound like so much fun! :)
    Anonymous said...
    I like the continuous learning between student and teacher. Hooray for moving into mixed media, did you show her some of your work?(maybe an example would help)~ Love Yuval's copy of your Owl and the Pussycat.
    paula said...
    the owl makes me laugh :) so cute.
    and she did a very good job with the english writing.
    Louise Nevelson has some very inspiring work. you know, I notice that I'm paying much more attention to 3D work now ... I wonder why? :)
    I supposed next time if you ask Yuval to create something in 3D she will look at it differently. she had the time to "absorb" the idea.
    amisha said...
    i can't wait to see what happens with the freestanding experiment. louise nevelson is amazing... i love her work!
    the owl and the pussycat drawing is fantastic!
    xo
    Anonymous said...
    I have so much to catch up on, Julie... and how I love that drawing of a handsome and dashing pair. The owl and the pussycat is one of my all time favourites... and I really, really love this drawing. How wonderful it would look as a print or a screenprint on a tote bag.
    see you, grache xo

Post a Comment