I have spent the best part of the last week working in the 'studio'..this is unusual for me, usually preferring the dining table but i have been working with clay. I have my computer on one wall and my work table on the opposite wall...Weather-wise, it has been grey and dreary and with plenty of cups of tea and lots of positive energy i found myself wanting to be in there all of the time. No music, just me and my thoughts..

I started making pods...a small one to begin with..but growing larger as my confidence grew...you never know what will happen in the firing process (the smeg in my case!!) are there any air bubbles inside? have i made enough air-holes so that it doesnt blow up in the oven? Will it crack where the clay is too thin? I got to a stage where i began to not care so much if the piece didnt survive the heat. Making them, forming the medium, enjoying the drying time, carving away at the form before it was completely dry..was just so wonderful and i am learning a lot about how the medium behaves...

I was thinking a lot about Amishas words on the subject...instinct...the process..


Amisha is talking about work on the wheel but working with clay in any way is so intuitive, unpredictable, so earthy... Amisha puts her thoughts into words so much better than me but in the end, i decided to work with the medium, become friends with it, learns its secrets and more than anything, enjoy the experience!


My pods are nothing special but i have had a great week playing :)



hope youre all enjoying the weekend xxx

14 Comments:

  1. paula said...
    You are in the right path and I'm so happy for that.
    Absolutely love the last piece...go be more adventurous and explore no fear it's all about fun and get involved. :)
    Maryam in Marrakesh said...
    Your pods are so lovely. I love clay images of organic things...Maybe you could expand to other things like tiny pine cones. That would be so sweet.
    Anonymous said...
    your pods are really special!!!
    ... I dislike those little air bubbles ;)
    Anonymous said...
    I'm glad that you've been able to spend time in the studio, enjoying the crafting process and being creative. I always feel that art is about the freedom to express, having fun at the same time and the beautiful result is a bonus.
    lisa solomon said...
    oh yes... i remember tempermental clay -

    don't ever say that what you make isn't special... it's ALL SPECIAL! ;)
    xo
    Marieke said...
    Your pods are so special, like you! :-) x
    amisha said...
    hi julie dear... thank you for your sweet words about my post :) i am so inspired by your work with clay and these wonderful new pieces (i love the wall pieces *and* the pods-- their organic shapes!). that point that you are talking about... making friends with the medium, not fighting it, trying to understand how it behaves and going with it... i feel like that is right around the corner. i can taste it in small bites, and then it slips. still trying to figure out how to stay *there* in that space where instinct and form come together. enjoy your studio time and this creative energy... hugs, amisha
    Anonymous said...
    I didn't see any pictures on this entry yesterday, Julie, they are so beautiful (one like a clay version of your paper pod), very delicate and natural-love them!
    Delphine R2M said...
    I love theses pieces, they are really great!
    KELLY said...
    they ARE very special...like you julie! a wonderfully organic process...so appropriate for the subject + you sound so at home + happy with your creations. it really shows in the final pieces too. xxx
    shari said...
    not special? are you kidding me? i think these pods are the COOLEST. :)

    hugs! shari
    Jade said...
    they are lovely! like seed pods or seashells or nudibranchs
    bugheart said...
    nothing special?!
    they are
    wonderful!
    Anonymous said...
    I love pods! Such wonderful shapes to play with, and these are lovely :)

Post a Comment