My passion is sculpture but i feel most comfortable with a pencil or pen in my hand - more so than with a brush. I feel in control. I have been drawing from a very, very young age..i would take a shoe and draw it or do an enlarged drawing of a stamp or famous pop stars from magazine pictures...in high school and uni, i would spend many an afternoon in the V&A drawing the giant sculptures (i miss that!) and actually my blog has bought me back to regular drawing after a baby break!!! I really want to get back into drawing even more and like the idea of some kind of personal exercise - like Lisa's 'drawing a day', or Shari's backyard photgraphy challenge or Gwen's 'portrait a day' project - theres so much to get out of these. I may start a 'drawing a day' when i have some more time but for now im going to study pears..using different mediums.
I did this pretty quick study yesterday with a Staedtler fineliner... this may be seen as my signature style of pen drawing...i see it a 'sculpturing' on the page with the pen. I have been drawing like this since high school and soon after learnt about drawings like this one by the famous sculptor Henry Moore (done in the underground tunnels - used as shelters during the war - more here) which, of course, i think are fantastic!!!
So, more pears to come ...oh and im going to have to order this book recommended by Marieke...
happy thursday all!!!

14 Comments:

  1. Mattias Adolfsson said...
    Great study,
    Anonymous said...
    Beautiful! It's a kind of etching in pen (love the 3D quality of them). Did you study in the UK?
    KELLY said...
    love your subject julie. your study is so beautifully "touchable" (does that make sense?!) & i can see how your reference to henry m has inspired you.

    nice idea for a personal exercise...i quite fancy a "drawing a week" myself...not sure if i could manage a one a day project even though i'd love to. looking forward to more pears :)

    happy thursday to you too, x
    paula said...
    I wish I could draw like you. You are so talented and drawing feels like your medium.
    Please continue...a bit everyday.
    And these pears are wonderful...
    I also love Henry Moore, his sculpture are some of my favourites.
    Oh and how I miss V&A.
    Can't wait to see more of your pears.
    Anonymous said...
    Pears are one of my favourite fruits to look at ...you have captured the shape so beautifully...
    shari said...
    hello julie=
    oh, you make the most fabulous drawings. love these pears. they pop off the page. your drawing makes me feel like i am holding them in my hand. :) looking forward to more.
    xox shari
    LittleDoodles said...
    wonderful drawings...I love using fineliners too :)
    Anonymous said...
    so nice to peak in your 'study a ....' project :-) i love the pears as i loe the apples on your banner...the line drawings are beautiful!
    Anonymous said...
    what loveliness!! pretty pretty! do more, do more :)
    Anastasia said...
    Oh these are really good! I have no confidence painting but I do love to draw....
    Anonymous said...
    really looking forward to more pear drawings!! oh, I wish I could draw as beautiful as you ...
    ruby-crowned kinglette said...
    you are inspiring me to draw!!! and that takes some work. i like the wonderful line work.
    Anonymous said...
    this is stunning Julie!
    bugheart said...
    you are
    such
    an inspiration
    to me
    to pick up
    the pencil
    again...
    your drawings
    are
    so so beautiful!

Post a Comment