Lesson #2 began with a discussion on these objects...still on the subject of 'line'.. i wanted to remind the girls what we had discussed last week and gave some examples in everyday objects - they seemed to really enjoy talking about them and offered more examples.


I then put on a cd of mixed classical music and asked the girls to take a marker and draw lines to the music. I gave them an example on the board and mentioned that they could even close their eyes and feel the music while they drew...it took them a while before they got the hang of it but in the end they started flowing more. I loved that they even introduced dotted lines on their own. I liked this exercise a lot and would like to use the influence of music again.
I then introdued the medium of glue and asked them to 'draw' different types of lines with the glue...

...which we then covered with glitter. The girls loved pouring the glitter over the paper!
Finally, i told the girls to create a picture made up of lines using many different mediums and however they wanted. I noticed a couple of points here...they were very enthusiastic about cutting up coloured paper and quite wary of mixing several mediums. I encouraged them to 'let loose' but they were quite happy with their own ideas. Liron cut a lot of strips from pink paper and stuck them down in an abstract way.
She then drew on each strip different examples of lines with different coloured felt tip pens. Shelly, on the other hand, used the coloured matchsticks, cut up strips of paper and oil pastels to create a picture of an 'aeroplane'. Liron enjoyed spreading out on the A3 page and Shelly was more interested in attention to detail.

Looking forward to next week...

And thank you all so much for your wonderful comments about last weeks lesson - they are always so welcome!!!

8 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    I am enjoying the pictures from your art lessons, they are so inspiring in themselves! The girls' work is beautiful.
    lisa solomon said...
    i love the glitter piece.... i remember when i taught kids you could never give them enough glitter
    ruby-crowned kinglette said...
    oh i am enjoying this... and your critiques of the work and how you are examining the differences between how each girl is interpreting the lesson... very very cool.
    Anonymous said...
    Wow, I'm enjoying this so much! I love how you "analyze" what they do, and I'm sure it's a WONDERFUL experience for them! Who knows, maybe one day they'll write about it in their blogs...;)
    Anonymous said...
    Yes, it's official. I want to join your class too!
    take care over the weekend, grache
    Marieke said...
    I wish I had a teacher like that when I was 4! Very good to stimulate the little girls at that age so profoundly. I mean, so much comes from childhood, don't you think?
    Anonymous said...
    cool lesson!! they must have had such a great time!! it makes me jealous, I wanna be 4 again!!
    Anonymous said...
    Those little hands look so busy. Sounds like you are really enjoying it.

Post a Comment