My art...wow, where do I start? From the age of 4 I wanted to be an artist. I spent my whole life drawing, painting and crafting. I am so passionate about it and yet I have so many problems with it. Sometimes I get an idea and feel so excited about it - I start producing it and half way through, I leave it. A lot of the time pieces are never finished and sometimes they are finished a year or more later. I want to feel free and just slap the paint on or draw without worrying about every single detail and Im not. I get too stuck on the details. I feel Im never good enough. I dont know how to price my work and end up giving a lot away as presents. I would love to make a little business out of it.
I once took a class in clay. It wasnt really a class because we werent taught - we made whatever we wanted and then fired it. This sculpture was done from a model who sat for us and I felt so free!! Very invigorating, getting my fingers into the clay and creating the form. Maybe this is the medium for me but I enjoy working in so many mediums! I will never give up my art!
I have to add something after Lauras comment - Until now, I didnt call myself an 'artist' because I didnt think I was worthy of the title. In my heart I am an artist, and as Angela says - it is part of me, us, so we should feel free with this. Who determines what is art, who is an artist?

7 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Julie all of the work you have produced that has been on your blog is wonderful. It is more than good enough to sell. Get your shop opened. :o)
    ruby-crowned kinglette said...
    i second what wendy has to say. your sculpture is beautiful.
    -s
    Anonymous said...
    beautiful sculpture. I too think you could sell all of work if you wanted too. 8-)
    Of course, you'll never give up your art! It is part of you. It flows through you...
    being free (in all its forms) is a dream we all have I think.
    laura capello said...
    I have the same hang-ups as you. And it kinda grates my nerves that people call me "crafty" and not "artistic."

    Your sculpture is awesome (as is everything else I've ever seen from you).
    Anonymous said...
    You are indeed an ARTIST! Wonderful portrait... Makes me itch to get my hands dirty again...!
    Violet & Rose said...
    Julie your work is beautiful and if I was you, I would be proudly calling myself an artist.
    Crafty Missus said...
    wow! that is wonderful work.
    continue creating, you are a talent....

Post a Comment