We started todays lesson off with some drawings of...pears!!

And then i showed Yuval these Picasso portraits..




I asked her what she thought of them and she said she liked them because they werent trying to be realistic. She also liked the colours and thought they were quite funny. She noticed the use of lines in all of the paintings and we talked about how the features were in funny places and in funny angles.
I asked Yuval to draw two different faces on 2 pieces of paper. I wanted her to go wild and feel free to use colour and draw 'unrealistic' faces. I want her to break free of what she has come to think of as 'correct'.

When she finished the two faces...she cut out the features to make another new face...
to be continued...

5 Comments:

  1. ruby-crowned kinglette said...
    did you teach her about the shadows? i like that they are there, it looks like sculpture rather than a disembodied head... again, great job.
    Anonymous said...
    Hi Julie,
    I love the shadows in the bottom two photos of yours... one to the left of the face and the other to the right of the face, mirroring each other.
    More wonderful drawings & results...
    cheers, g
    Anonymous said...
    I love the final results and the clever use of shadows, can't wait to see the next step. Reading your entries, I feel like I am taking the lessons myself :)
    paula said...
    I like that you are showing Yuval other ways of looking at things. To deconstruct...
    shari said...
    wonderful julie! i really love that you are sharing these lessons. inspiring! xo s

Post a Comment