Thank you all so much for the continuing comments on the art lessons...they are so encouraging!! If anyone has an idea to do something differently or anything, id love to hear...


As i said in my last post, i began another class with 7 year old Yuval. Its quite a different ball game...much calmer and more intimate..and im enjoying both of the classes so much.
I decided that im going to begin every session with Yuval with 3/4 mins doing some life drawing. Some may think shes too young but i believe theres nothing like practise. The idea is to open her eyes and move away from preconceived ideas of things - to get her to look at things more closely, lines, shapes, colours, shadows...
I began by putting a teacup on the table...i asked Yuval to follow the lines of the cup with her finger and then showed her how to squint and look at an object. I asked her to draw the cup in the air. And then she drew the cup on a piece of paper. The drawing on the top right hand side is the first drawing...very simple..we then tried a blind contour drawing - this exercise 'pushes' her to really look at the object.


From this drawing you can already see how she is looking more closely.

I then put a handmade jug on the table which she did a blind contour drawing of...

And finally I asked her to draw what she saw in front of her. I showed her how by adding the edge of the table, the jug is not floating in air but sitting on the table. I told her i didnt want to see any white of the paper. I think she really enjoyed doing the drawing and was happy with the result!

After finishing we talked about what we did and why she thought we did them and what she enjoyed doing most...A great first session!

8 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    I'm loving these posts Julie. I really get a buzz out of seeing what the daily challenge is and what your students are producing. I'm excited all the way over here in Australia.
    Keep posting please. I get such a thrill seeing my 4 year old create the most interesting images. Children's art and perception is truly magnificent. So raw and honest.
    Marieke said...
    I have the feeling you are just the BEST teacher, Julie! I love the final work she made in color. It has some flat-but-not-flat Matisse quality over it ;-)
    shari said...
    this looks like a great class julie. i used to set up still lifes for my kindergarten kids. we'd sit in a circle with the still life in the middle and everyone would draw from their perspective. then we'd share and talk about why the drawings look different. i also let the kids set up their own still lifes from time to time.

    xo
    shari
    Anonymous said...
    so cool! i kind of have this itchy feeling that i want to be teached again...and feel like the person who is teaching knows to guide you to the hidden corners of the art world! love this class AGAIN :) *Daphne
    lisa solomon said...
    oh julie... such great work.... so nice that you share this with us!!
    jessica said...
    what a wonderful way to teach art, feel, visualize, execute. very nice.
    Anonymous said...
    That went really well for her first class.
    Anonymous said...
    What beautiful pictures! I really love the way you teach by using an all round approach to looking at objects and learning perspective so early on, perhaps all of them will be future Picassos.

Post a Comment